Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cauliflower Fried Rice = Awesometown

So...I've been looking for some new, awesome Paleo recipes and when I saw this initially I was very intrigued.  Then a girl I know that is a Paleo eater mentioned that she makes it so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I super love fried rice but it's a big no-no on Paleo (and for my blood sugar and waistline.)  There's a ton of recipes out there and this is the one I set out to make from Nom Nom Paleo.   It looks awesome and I even bought all the ingredients (except for coconut aminos only because I didn't have time to stop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.)  But when I went to make it last night I was really craving a very traditional, greasy Chinese food restaurant-type of fried rice so I kinda made my own.  Below is what I came up with.

**Note:  I had all intentions of taking pics but as I got into it, Emma decided to have a meltdown because I told her I wouldn't take her to Build-A-Bear this weekend.  So I was flustered, missed the pan on the stove a few times and basically my kitchen was a hot mess and I didn't want that in the pics. : )

Ingredients:
One package thin sliced pork - I then sliced it into strips
About 3/4 of a head of cauliflower (or approximately 3.5 cups once you chop it)
Green onions, about 3, sliced (white part and a bit of the green)
1/2 c. thinly sliced mushrooms
2 eggs
Soy sauce (about a tsp or however much you like)
Fish sauce (about a tsp, I just drizzled it over the rice)
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP EVOO
Minced ginger (actually, I grated mine with a microplane, about a tsp, but use more or less depending on how much you like the taste of ginger)

Using a blender (I used my Vitamix and did it in small batches), food processor or just a knife, chop up the cauliflower until it's rice-like consistency.  Scramble the two eggs and set aside.  Heat the olive oil and then sauté the minced garlic for a minute or so.  Add the sliced pork and cook until done.  Toss in the green onions and mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms are almost, but not quite, done.  Then add the cauliflower and cook approximately 5 minutes.  You want it have the consistency of cooked rice so I just kept testing it until I liked the texture.   Toss in the fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger and egg when you think the rice has about a minute left.

That's it!

You can do so much with this - add peas and carrots like they do at some Asian restaurants.  Use shrimp, chicken or no meat at all.   You can even get fancy like the above recipe (which I still intent to try.)  Let me know what you try!

Oh and you know that sinful white shrimp sauce you get at Japanese restaurants?  I fully intend to try and make a Paleo-friendly version of that because as a friend of mine said today, rice is just a vehicle to get that in my mouth!




No comments:

Post a Comment